Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a retirement residence and a long-term care facility?

Retirement residences provide care and service and 24 hour emergency response with rental accommodation. Gardens of Haliburton will also provide assisted living to allow people to age in place and not have to move to access more care and service. Retirement residences are funded by the people who live there. Long-term care facilities receive government funding and residents provide a co-payment for accommodations. These facilities are for people who require 24 hour nursing care. There is a long waiting list for long-term care facilities.

What’s included in my monthly fee at a retirement residence?

Your accommodation is included in addition to all your meals and snacks, housekeeping, activities and fitness classes, maintenance, 24 emergency response and healthcare consultation. If at some point your needs increase you may opt for assisted living which adds an enhanced level of personal care and service.

How much do retirement residences cost?

The cost is determined by the size of unit chosen and the services provided. The greatest cost in a retirement residence is typically the staffing to provide: care, meals, activities, maintenance, laundry and housekeeping. Please contact The Gardens of Haliburton for pricing information.

Is there a waiting list?

Please contact Patti Lou Robinson, the Gardens’ director of community relations, at 705-457-4848, or by email at [email protected] regarding reservations and availability of suites.

How do I get in?

If you have an interest in the Gardens services then please contact Patti Lou Robinson, the Gardens’ director of community relations, at 705-457-4848, or by email at [email protected] and we will keep you up to date with everything that’s going on. We will also provide you with all the information you will need to determine if the Gardens is a good choice for you.

Are retirement residences regulated?

Retirement residences are regulated by a number of acts and authorities. We are regulated by the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority in accordance with the Retirement Homes Act. We are also regulated under the Residential Tenancy Act, The Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Ontario Fire Protection Act, The Personal Health Information Protection Act and the College of Nurses Standards.

My relative has Alzheimer’s/dementia. Can they live in a retirement home?

With everyone who comes into The Gardens of Haliburton, we want to be certain that we can provide the support, care and service that meets their needs. If there is an instance where we can’t meet the needs of an individual we’ll do our very best to provide information on the best alternative available.

What happens if I need more care and service?

Yes, additional services are available. As time goes on, if your need for care and service increases we will do our very best to provide assisted living services to meet those needs.

Can I bring my own furniture?

Yes you can bring your own furniture. We’ll give you a floorpan with the dimensions of your suite and you can organize the furniture you would like to bring.

When I tour a retirement residence. What questions should I ask?

Before the tour, write down the things that are most important to you; whether it’s about the food or what happens if you need more care and service. Ask all of those questions and then ask a current resident how their enjoying their stay.
Scroll to Top